Wednesday, May 8, 2019

At Least It Wasn't Blood...

Full Disclosure- this paint incident is from a different day, but the result is the same! Paint-covered, messy child!
Have you ever made plans that, for once, you didn’t want to cancel, and then something happens to make you second-guess yourself? That was my situation last evening. I was going out for a crazy girls night with a friend. (It was actually just pedicures and a new ear piercing, but we’re moms and we deserve to sound cool sometimes!) Anyway, I was looking forward to getting out and going all the way to Naples for a couple hours.

But when I told Cayden that big bro was going to watch him and Ezra for a little while, his big brown eyes teared up. He would miss me twenty-hundred and he didn’t want to be left all alone! Obviously, Ezra, Micah, and Dara don’t count. I hesitated. Because I just had a feeling. Spider-Mom? But then I dismissed it- they’d be fine. Cay is super dramatic- no idea where he gets that from. I went over with Micah again the list of things they were not allowed to do. This included ninja fights, sword fights, lightsaber fights, lego fights, dinosaur fights… basically all the fights. I did not, however, mention using the oven or painting, which came back to bite me in the you-know-what.

Blissfully unaware of the chaos to occur, my friend and I merrily headed off to our grown-up date. Everything was just peachy for almost an hour. Almost. Then my phone started ringing. And not the phone call ring- the FaceTime ring. That’s never a good sign. I pressed the button and was confronted with a confusing sight- my back porch. At least, I thought it was my back porch. It certainly held similarities. But it was red. And a mess. And red. Micah calmly showed me the damage. The little boys had found paint and decided their big playhouse on the porch needed an update. They proceeded to paint the entire thing, followed by the patio furniture and cushions. In red paint. As if that wasn’t horrific enough, they covered the row of windows lining the house in chalk drawings of the family. Then scattered the painted patio cushions all over so they wouldn’t touch the ‘hot lava’ of the chalk-covered floor stones. Oh, and they hadn’t forgotten themselves in the painting process! I was literally speechless. It looked like a scene from a horror movie- complete with happy little chalk people/outlines.

I recovered enough to take a deep breath and begin my motherly rant of, “You are in charge! You are supposed to be watching them!! Where were you during all this???” Now let’s keep in mind that Micah, for all his almost teenage-ness, is a wonderfully good kid. The kind of kid who tells on himself regularly because of his tender conscious. So he totally deflated my righteous anger bubble when he told me he had seen cornbread mix in the pantry. Knowing it was my favorite, he had been in the kitchen totally focused on attempting to make cornbread as a surprise for me when I returned home. How do you get mad after that??

I returned home later that evening with much trepidation. I almost got back into my friend’s car and insisted we head over to the brewery for a drink. But I figured they’d had several hours to do their worst, I shouldn’t give them any more time for destruction. I walked inside and there were happy screams of ‘mommy’s home!’ No matter what they’ve done, that is my favorite thing to hear when I’ve been away.

I cautiously looked the boys up and down. Perfectly clean. Down to the pajamas put on correctly. (Cayden has a habit of putting his shirts on backwards and his jammy pants on inside-out.) Micah proudly marched me out to the porch for an inspection. To be fair, it was dark and I didn’t want to look very closely, but it appeared that all the paint had been scrubbed off and the windows sprayed down. We caught a lucky break that Ezra can only reach to the middle drawer and grabbed the washable paint.

 All in all, I was really impressed with Micah. He cleaned the entire mess, lectured and scolded the littles, successfully made delicious cornbread, bathed and dressed the boys, and got them somewhat settled down. He did better than I do most days!


And, in true Micah fashion, he successfully negotiated for a raise and bonus after noting my appreciation of his skills.

With Love,


Susanne

No comments:

Post a Comment