Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Things I've Noticed at the Gym

I love going to the gym. It’s easier for me to exercise when I have to make the conscious effort to get dressed, make sure someone’s watching the kids, and drive there. I feel like I owe it to myself to have a good workout. Now I am by no means an expert, but I’ve been to a few gyms- from the big social club gyms, down to my current little neighborhood gym. And I’ve made a few observations...

1.      People have no shame
I call her “loud obnoxious lady.” Once she came in wearing a hot pink bathrobe covered in hearts. She doesn’t own a coat because it’s ‘not supposed to get cold in Florida.’ She generally shows up with her equally loud friend, and together they plow away on the treadmill, loudly bemoaning the many faults of their husbands and kids. Don’t get me wrong- I understand we all need to vent, but if I was her husband, I would go out for drinks with Chris twice a week, too!


2.      The bigger the grunts, the more weight you can lift
You know the type- super big and buff up top, with little skinny legs. These are the guys who apparently forgot leg day exists. They get huge weights, sound like they’re the Hulk while pounding their sets, and then drop them to the floor with a huge crash. Then there’s the production of stretching their sore muscles and drinking from their gallon jug of water. I’ve always wanted to saunter over and imitate them, just to see the reaction. Of course, my idea of ‘huge weights’ would be twenty pound dumbbells…not exactly intimidating.


3.     Time slows down at the gym               
      Don’t believe me? Do a two minute wall-sit, or a sixty-second plank, or run full out on the treadmill for five minutes. You’ll feel like the clock is ticking backwards! One minute of gym time is like five minutes in the outside world.

4.       Friends are better than no friends
      I have to go work out at 5am because that’s literally the only time of the day when I can go. Chase and I work opposite schedules so we rarely have a free evening. I was very inconsistent until I met my gym buddy. She’s a lifesaver! Sometimes the only reason I drag my butt out of bed is because I know she’ll give me crap if I don’t show up. In spite of despising leg day, Gym Buddy has guilted me into it at least once a week. It happened to be this morning and the soreness made me consider just rolling my chair around the office so there was no need to stand up.

5.       People watching is a great distraction
At my old gym, I used to do the elliptical for 45 minutes at a time. That gets pretty boring, especially when the only thing on the televisions was the Golf Channel, ESPN, and infomercials. I started people watching and it was hilarious! There was the woman who wore a full-on ballerina costume every day. Or the pretty girls with perfect hair and makeup who went from machine to machine, not even pretending to use them; they simply bounced around depending on where a buff guy was working out. I especially enjoyed the older man who clearly thought he owned the place. He would make his rounds- flirting with every woman, giving out hugs and advice.

And I have to end this post with a shout out to a couple of my favorite shirts that are perfect for gym-time





With Love,
Susanne


No comments:

Post a Comment