Friday, January 19, 2018


Ave Maria at 6am

I've started and stopped about three different posts, and I just can't focus on anything today. Maybe the cold weather is slowing my brain down. Then there's the long drive to work each day. Listening to my book on Audible is the only thing that keeps me sane on that drive sometimes. When I moved to Naples from Orlando, I thought it would be a much slower pace, and it is- during the summer. Southwest Florida during season is crazy! There's people here from all over the north, and half of them can't drive to save their lives. You know who you are, New York and New Jersey people!

Collier County has an app that keeps you up to date on traffic accidents. During my forty-five minute commute, there were five accidents! Five! What in the world are people doing at 8am in 38 degree weather? They're mostly snow birds, which means they're retired and going somewhere other than a job. If it was me, I'd be snuggled up under my favorite blanket at home, enjoying my view of palm trees instead of snow, and sipping hot tea.

The craziness lasts from about Thanksgiving till Easter down here. Then they all go back north and Naples returns to a semi-sleepy little town. But there is always at least once that I nearly get in an accident because of someone driving the wrong way down the road. This year it was a huge Cadillac SUV barreling down the street coming right at me from the wrong direction. Then, he had the audacity to honk and flip Me off when he flew by. I may or may not have been sweetly yelling that he was a lunatic and should have his vision checked. I'm helpful like that.

It's really entertaining to watch snow birds, most of the time, though. They will literally stop their cars in the road to gawk at a palm tree. Or run screaming if they see an alligator in the water. I was out running in my neighborhood by a pond as a little alligator was minding its own business on the opposite bank. A car pulls up in front of me, four people tumble out and they start madly taking pictures. Then the gator lazily splashed into the water and started swimming. The group shrieks and runs for their car, looking over their shoulders as if the gator is going to eat them whole.


Enough rambling. I'll be back next time with a more put together post. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and stay safe on the roads!

With Love,
Susanne

No comments:

Post a Comment