Friday, August 17, 2018

And They're Off to School!





Warning: this is going to be a mushy back to school post wherein I reminisce about how quickly the boys are growing up and sing their praises.

Disclaimer: I’m writing this while they’re all sleeping peacefully, looking like angels. Had I written this three hours ago, it would have gone much differently. At that point, they were all yelling and crying. Micah got hit with a light saber, Ezra ran in circles screaming because he didn’t want to share Legos, and Cayden decided to throw the Legos at Micah to ward off a light saber retaliation. 


Micah Brock started 7th grade this week. He’s halfway through middle school! Which is practically high school, nearly college, and soon he’ll grow up and move away from me. But he did ask me to drive him to school, which gave us a few minutes to discuss the coming year. He’s most excited about taking robotics. Hopefully this, along with the after-school coding class, will help him in his dreams of being an engineer. 

Seventh grade is going to be more challenging than he’s used to. For example, by next week he has to come up with the idea for and begin planning his science project. In addition, he’s learning Spanish- which will be a great asset here in Southwest Florida. But with half the kids in the class already knowing Spanish, he’s going to have to actually study to keep up! I’m so proud of this kid- he’s had a lot of challenges in his short life, and yet he works hard and keeps a good attitude. He’s great with his little brothers and I know he’s going to be a good role model for them.


Moving on to my little Cayden. That child is a handful and a delight. He’s so outgoing and sociable, it’s hard to believe he’s my kid sometimes. But when he wants something, he goes full force at it. There’s a martial arts studio by our home and every time we drove by, Cayden said he wanted to do karate. He started practicing at home (sometimes on poor Ezra), and talking Chase into ‘teaching’ him. We finally enrolled him this week and the kid’s a natural. He’s fast, strong, and agile. I’m glad he has an area to channel all his energy and wear him out before bedtime. 


Since Cay’s birthday is September 9th, he missed the September 1st deadline for VPK. His school moved him up with his friends, but I hate that he’ll have to remain behind next year when they all go to kindergarten. Florida doesn’t allow waivers or exceptions, so he’ll be one of the oldest kids when he does go to real school. I guess that has its advantages, but if I’d known this would be an issue, I would’ve insisted on being induced a week earlier. 



Finally, my baby Ezra. He’s a mama’s boy and wants to do everything Cayden does. Everything. Over the summer, Cayden’s school had a little petting zoo and the director invited Ezra to come for the day. He got to wear a uniform just like Cayden, pack a lunch like a big kid, and go to school instead of taking a nap. After that, there was no turning back. He wanted to go every day. And look at that face- how could I say no? He’s done amazingly well interacting with older kids and is always happy as a clam. No tears when I leave- just a hug and off he runs.  

Enjoy those little moments!

With Love,
Susanne

No comments:

Post a Comment