Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Sunscreen Saturday

Once upon a time, I got a tanning membership for the summer. I was a bronzed goddess! Clothing fit better, my legs looked thinner, the sun shone brighter, people smiled more, and there was happiness on earth. Then the dad guilt trip happened and I reluctantly agreed that skin cancer was slightly worse than being pale.

The summer of bronze

Disney Cruise- not even a hint of a tan

And now I've pretty much accepted my Casper the ghost coloring. Laying out peacefully at the beach or pool are not even a possibility with three kids. If I ignored them for more than ten seconds, I'd end up with a bucket of water poured over my head, or worse. They're so lucky I love them more than anything in this world- even a good sun tan.

10 year old me at New Smyrna Beach, notice the shorts tan lines

So I set low expectations for my tanning abilities on a paddle-boarding and beach trip this past weekend. Fortunately, I went with a friend and, while she brought her older son along, I was able to relish not being mom-ed to death for a morning. The sun was beautiful, the water so clear I could see schools of minnows, and it was just the perfect Florida day. We paddled out to the Gulf and watched flocks of pelicans filling the sky while dolphins jumped in the ocean. God's creation is a wonderful thing and it was nice to be reminded that there is a world outside my computer and phone.


In the afternoon, I met up with Chase and the boys to take a ride on his new boat. It's orange and blue so, naturally, Cayden has named it Daddy's Gator Boat. The boys had a blast throwing handfuls of sand into the waves to 'make them go away', and wanted to put every large shell they found on a shell tree by the beach. They also wanted to share their boat snacks with the fishies. So for every bite they ate, one had to go into the ocean. Not sure what those poor sea creatures thought of m&ms and blueberries. But hey, sharing is a win, right?


It was the best Saturday I've had in a while and it made me remember how much I love the water and the salt and the sun. Hopefully by the time we hit the beach for a week in July, I'll be a respectable shade of off-white, maybe even a light beige. Fingers crossed!

With Love,
Susanne

No comments:

Post a Comment