Thursday, July 19, 2018

How Had I Never Been to the Keys??


My family moved to Florida a month after I turned six years old. Prior to that, dad was in the navy and we bounced around along the eastern coast. So I consider myself a Floridian. I grew up in the little town founded by my ancestors, and that my dad and uncles were born in- I’m pretty darn close to native, okay?

Having lived in Florida for so long, I had never ever been to the Keys! Before I met Chase, I’d never been farther south than Tampa. I finally had my opportunity last month and it was magical! I seriously didn’t want to leave- and I live in Naples, a beach destination. 


Chase and I headed to Key Largo for a long weekend, but it wasn’t a romantic get-away. We were meeting up with a huge group of his Gheenoe buddies for their yearly rally. (Insert eye-roll) I anticipated a lot of fishing, boring fishing talk, and more fishing. Fortunately, it was so much more than that.


We did fish every day, but without the boys creating chaos and spilling things, it’s remarkably relaxing and fun. I caught several barracudas (apparently they’re not highly prized, but I thought it was cool), along with various types of snapper. The prize goes to hubby, though. He managed to catch Himself!! Yep, he was reeling in a fish when it spit the hook and wrapped into his nose. I was no help because the sight made me queasy and nearly throw up. Poor guy drove all the way back to shore with a huge lure dangling from his face and sat like a Rockstar while the hook was cut and worked out of his nose. On the plus side, everyone knew who we were after that and it helped spark a lot of conversation. 


 We stayed at a very tropical little resort right on the water that was an assortment of free-standing little cottages, vintage trailers, and a couple two story houses. They were all painted bright colors and interspersed with random life-size, painted animal statues. Unique. 

Note the standing bear to the left side of the home
We stayed in this charming little trailer- words I will never say outside of the Keys.
Greeted by zebras to the left, and the beautiful, clear water straight ahead

Because I have a hard time with spontaneity, I researched all the best restaurants in the area and found a popular tiki bar type place I wanted to try. Chase thought it was too ‘touristy’, and based on the billboards of margarita glasses and key lime pie that we passed, he was probably right. Fate was with us though, because we missed the turn and while making the u-turn, we saw a little hole in the wall pizza place. Chase is never one to turn down pizza and I conceded the battle. Turned out to be some of the best pizza and garlic rolls I’ve ever had! Huge and dripping with chunks of garlic and butter, those garlic rolls were to die for. Paired with homemade pizza and locally brewed beer, that was a delicious dinner. If you’re ever in Key Largo, stop at Tower of Pizza. 


I’m not done with the Keys yet, so I’ll continue in my next post about how I almost got eaten by a tarpon. Not that I’m dramatic…

With Love,
Susanne


1 comment:

  1. This was really good. How's Chase feeling? The Tower of Pizza will cook your freshly caught fish. Snapper and Pizza are a great combination.

    ReplyDelete